I’ve always loved a good quote. I feel like if I’m going through something, whether it’s good or bad, I can always find a quote that perfectly encapsulates how I’m feeling. I’ve gotten into the habit of adding to my notes in my phone every time I come across a quote in a book I like, so I thought I would share a few. Each quote means something different to me and reminds me to make the most of what I have. Let’s get started!
1. “I’m under absolutely no obligation to make sense to you.” — Evelyn Hugo, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
2. “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” — Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
3. “Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don’t you think?” — The Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
4. “In love we find out who we want to be, in war we find out who we are.” — Vianne, The Nightingale
5. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” — Peter Pan, Peter Pan
6. “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him.” — Gandalf, The Hobbit
7. “If a hiker gets lost in the mountains, people will coordinate a search. If a train crashes, people will line up to give blood. If an earthquake levels a city, people all over the world will send emergency supplies. This is so fundamentally human that it’s found in every culture without exception. Yes, there are assholes who just don’t care, but they’re massively outnumbered by the people who do.” — Mark Watney, The Martian
8. “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” — George Orwell, 1984
9. “You can measure your worth by your dedication to your path, not by your successes or failures.” — Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic
10. “The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see what’s in between, and they took great pleasure in doing just that.” — Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth
Take from these quotes what you need, and go forward.
What are some of your favorite book quotes? Let me know in the comments below.